As a grandmother doing the ‘looking after grandson’ thing one of my delights is escorting him to the bus stop every school day. Today’s post is a list of activities we have collected to do as we wait for the bus.
- Be physically active. Sometimes it’s cold waiting for the bus so to stay warm we invent running, jumping, hopping exercises.
- After a week-end of snow and ice; test the slipperiness of the top snow by jumping up and down: comes with a health warning, not advisable standing at the top of a short slope.
- Look for worms. Especially effective in wetter weather, but when warm and dry you can rescue the worm by guiding it to a more comfortable worm hole in the grass.
- Listen to the sounds around you: cars, people, birds singing, radios, sirens. Are they happy sounds, peaceful sounds, “stressy” sounds.
- Look for interesting rocks. The best ones are conglomerates such as flints that have interesting shapes, patterns and textures.
- On sunny days play shadow games; our favourite is two- becomes-one with more hands and legs doing funny dances and poses.
- Have interesting conversations about life, learning and different cultures.
- Splash in puddles, or after a frost touch the top layer of ice on a puddle to watch the water swirl and move underneath the ice.
- Sometimes it’s just nice to stand quiet in your own thoughts and ‘people watch’.
- Count cars: choose a colour count how many cars of that colour go past.
- He is young; I am older.
- Make sure your coat covers your butt otherwise you get wet….
- Grandma will tell you to be sure to wash your hands as soon as you get to school – even if you were wearing gloves.
- To be thankful we can hear all the different sounds.
- Even ‘man made’ rocks in a driveway can have unusual features and be interesting.
- Our favourite, but some people may think you’re a bit weird.
- Eight year old’s can have thought provoking philosophies and ideas.
- Only advisable when wearing boots.
- People are interesting, most everyone will respond to a greeting or a smile.
- There are more black cars than red ratio 17:3
- The bus comes quite quickly when you do fun things
- Always tell each other to have a good day and ‘I love you’.